Dr. James W. Stroud
Associate Professor of Moral Theology
S.T.D., Moral Theology/Ethics, The Catholic University of America
S.T.L., Moral Theology/Ethics, The Catholic University of America
Dissertation: “Thomas Aquinas’ Exposition of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit: Developments in
His Thought and Rival Interpretations”
- Thomistic Ethics
- Biomedical Ethics
- Catholic Social Teaching
- Sexual Ethics
- Relationship between Moral Theology and Sacred Scripture
- Relationship between Theology and Science
- “Instinctus and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit: Explaining the Development in St. Thomas’ Teaching on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit,” Journal Of Moral Theology (Special Issue, 2019): 60-79.
- Stroud, James. 2021. “Almsgiving as a Formative Practice of Repentance for Christian Discipleship: The Gospel of Luke and Daniel 4:24,” Journal of Moral Theology 10, Special Issue No. 1: 84-103. Click here for the article.
- Just Water: Theology, Ethics, and Fresh Water Crises, Rev. Ed., by Christiana Zenner. Journal of Moral Theology 9, no. 2 (June 2020): 218-9.
Selected Scholarly Presentations:
- “Reconsidering St. Thomas Aquinas’ Teaching on Almsgivings in Light of the Biblical and Patristic Tradition,” New Wine New Wineskins Conference, Notre Dame, IN, July 2018
- “Technological Advances and Communication: Revisiting the Catholic Church’s Teaching on PVS Patients” University Faculty for Life Annual Conference, Milwaukee, WI, June 2016
- “Almsgiving as an Integral Practice for Christian Discipleship: the Gospel of Luke and Daniel 4:24,” 2nd Pinckaers Symposium, Notre Dame, IN, May 2019
Selected General Presentations:
- “The Gifts of the Holy Spirit” delivered to Sursum Corda Milwaukee – Young Adult Group at St. Stanislaus Catholic Church, Milwaukee, WI, February 2020
- “Euthanasia and the Catholic Response” delivered to Voice of the Holy Innocents at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Greenfield, WI, February 2018
- “Respect for All Life in the Year of Mercy: Reflections drawn from Pope St. John Paul II’s The Gospel of Life” delivered to St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Menomonee Falls, WI, October 2016
- “Catholic View on Vaccinations” delivered to the Milwaukee Archdiocesan Healthcare and Bioethics Committee, Milwaukee, WI, September 2015
- $75,000 Grant in the Science for Seminaries Phase II funded by the Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion (DoSER) of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; One of the lead professors of grant proposal (along with Dr. Paul Monson and Dr. Jeremy Blackwood).
- $10,000 Grant in the Re-Engaging Science in Seminary Formation funded by the John Templeton Foundation and administered through John Carroll University; Lead Professor of Grant Proposal in Fall 2016 for the Fall 2017 MT 576 Science of Forgiveness course (co-taught with Dr. Brian Lee)
- Milwaukee Archdiocesan Healthcare and Bioethics Committee
- Society of Christian Ethics
- Academy of Catholic Theology
Contact: (414) 858-4636